The elevator arrives at my office floor (7), there is a well-built dressed black man who peers curiously into my world as I step on.
"magazine?"
"no, broadcast graphics"
"oh alright, I used to play pro football for jacksonville so I know all about magazines"
Of course, at this point I want to say "who are you? where did you play?" but he talks fast and tells me how he now owns a construction company with Freddie Mitchell (eagles) in Philadelphia, and goes to the building where my office is to get physical therapy.
"football is a lifetime of physical therapy" he groans, pulling his sleeve up over his arm to show me his gnarled hands, as we continue to walk outside. One hand has 4 fingers, and definitely twisted in ways it shouldn't be. He lifts his shirt and shows me the brace he wears around his midsection. I ask him what he played, "outside Linebacker".
Its interesting to see this man now, after the lights of notoriety have all gone out, getting physical therapy for the rest of his life, ran like a greyhound for his good years. Although, some might say the money is worth the pain. Next time I will remember to ask him.
Friday, April 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment